backing out of a parking lot into a non-adjacent lane

Punten van discussie.
air

backing out of a parking lot into a non-adjacent lane

Bericht door air »

Hello there,

I have a few questions wrt the following situation and I'd appreciate your inputs on it:
Afbeelding

1. Let's first imagine there's no blue car, i.e. both lanes are completely free - is the "red" trajectory of a gray car a legal maneuver?
2. If yes, then let's imagine the blue car appeared in the lane when the gray one's already started to back out and completely blocked the lane.
Now, what blue car could do is to drive around the obstacle via an oncoming lane (provided it's free).
However, since gray's using its left turn signal (which blue apparently cannot see), my bet would be that it shouldn't continue and instead should wait for the gray to do its thing...right?
Inazuma

Re: backing out of a parking lot into a non-adjacent lane

Bericht door Inazuma »

air schreef: 02 jul 2021, 20:33 1. Let's first imagine there's no blue car, i.e. both lanes are completely free - is the "red" trajectory of a gray car a legal maneuver?
Sure

As it's a manoeuvre (backing up + leaving a parking spot) there are no regulations as to how it should be executed
- aside from safe, and by yielding to other traffic.
2. If yes, then let's imagine the blue car appeared in the lane when the gray one's already started to back out and completely blocked the lane.
The requirement for manoeuvring drivers to yield to other traffic, exists throughout the entire manoeuvre, until they attain a normal position on the road.

A manoeuvring driver should yield by stopping (the manoeuvre).
air

Bericht door air »

Inazuma schreef: 03 jul 2021, 08:39 The requirement for manoeuvring drivers to yield to other traffic, exists throughout the entire manoeuvre, until they attain a normal position on the road.

A manoeuvring driver should yield by stopping (the manoeuvre).
Appreciate the answer.

Nevertheless, the situation is slightly more complex:
- the blue car appeared on the road when the gray one has already blocked its lane
- the blue car tried to drive around the gray one via an oncoming lane (and incidentally this is the lane where the gray car was heading)
So, the blue car is also maneuvering at this point…right?
Now, who’s gonna yield to whom? :)
My ignorant assumption would be that blue one should’ve stopped in its lane…but I cannot really explain why (with any confidence at least).
Inazuma

Bericht door Inazuma »

air schreef: 09 jul 2021, 18:37 Nevertheless, the situation is slightly more complex:
- the blue car appeared on the road when the gray one has already blocked its lane
Stop the manoeuvre ...

- the blue car tried to drive around the gray one via an oncoming lane (and incidentally this is the lane where the gray car was heading)
So, the blue car is also maneuvering at this point…right?
Yes
Now, who’s gonna yield to whom? :)
With 2 manoeuvring drivers, priority from the right is applicable between them (Belgian court of cassation)

Left/right to be regarded in the direction of travel of each driver (Belgian court of cassation)

It's even more "more complex" :mrgreen:
If Mr Gray shadily forces Ms Blue into manoeuvring around his car to try to avoid an accident, it won't be regarded as a manoeuvre

Jurisdiction regarding manoeuvres is rather complex
And none of it has made it into the Belgian Highway code
Plaats reactie