Waiting on Bus lane

Vragen over de leerstof i.v.m. het Rijbewijs B.
pdesai84

Waiting on Bus lane

Bericht door pdesai84 »

Hi,

In chapter 2 (page 20) and in chapter 22 (page 134), it is specified as:

A car is not allowed to:
- park
- or ride on bus lane

It doesn't say that you can not wait there. Does it means you can wait on bus lane ?

On the contrary, in chapter 25 (page 152) it is specified as:
You are not allowed to wait or park on bus lane.

Now the confusion is which one is correct ?
Are you allowed to wait or not on the bus lane ?

The similar confusion is in the exercise as well:
Question 7596:
Are you allowed to wait on a bus lane to let someone out of the car ? As per portal ans is YES

Question 8523:
What is the most correct answer ? On the bus lane you...
As per the portal ans is: are not allowed to wait or park.

Can anyone please clear this confusion ?
Many thanks.
GRO
Administrator

Re: Waiting on Bus lane

Bericht door GRO »

In chapter 2 (page 20) and in chapter 22 (page 134), it is specified as:
A car is not allowed to:
- park
- or ride on bus lane
It doesn't say that you can not wait there. Does it means you can wait on bus lane ?
This is what the law says:
It's not allowed to park or to ride on the bus lane.

According to some traffic experts, you can also not wait on a bus lane, since you are not allowed to drive on it.
Some traffic experts have another opinion: it is not prohibited by law, so it's allowed.
Because during the exam the latter opinion is followed, we also do it in this course.
On the contrary, in chapter 25 (page 152) it is specified as:
You are not allowed to wait or park on bus lane.
I suppose you use an older book.
It has to be: You are not allowed to park on a bus lane.

QUESTION 7596: So the answer is YES.
QUESTION 8523:
I have adjusted the question.
The correct answer is: B. ... you are not allowed to drive or to park.
pdesai84

Bericht door pdesai84 »

I bought this book last month from one of the driving school. They gave me 3rd edition: 13th May 2016.
I don't know if new book has arrived very recently or they might be still distributing an older book.

Anyhow, thank you so much for this clarification.
kkrasnas

Bericht door kkrasnas »

Okay so you are not allowed to park or to ride on bus lane.
What about question 8714: What is the most correct answer? On the bus lane you ...
A are not allowed to park
B not allowed to wait or to park
C not allowed to drive, wait or park

The correct answer in the program is B - NOT ALLOWED TO WAIT OR PARK. I see an inconsistency. If I would pick the most correct answer (which is an odd concept already) I would say A. Can you please explain?
Jozef
Medewerker

Bericht door Jozef »

GRO schreef: 12 jan 2017, 04:50 According to some traffic experts, you can also not wait on a bus lane, since you are not allowed to drive on it.
Fortunately, "traffic expert" is not a by law protected title, everybody can claim to be a traffic expert.

If your quote was true, then you could wait and/or park nowhere where it is allowed, but you are not supposed to drive, like on a parking lane or on a roadside.

Imagine you get a fine because your car is parked without a valid reason on an emergency lane. Do you really believe you will also get a fine because, before parking there, you drove at less then 70 km/h on the highway, and still another fine because you drove on the emergency lane to park there?

Even "traffic experts" should use some common sense.
GRO
Administrator

Bericht door GRO »

@KKRANAS
Answer A is correct.
Inazuma

Bericht door Inazuma »

The Belgian highway code states that you're only allowed to follow a bus lane to change direction (in the immediate vicinity of a crossroad) or when driving around an obstacle.

Hence, any other use aside from the stated exceptions, by definition, results in a violation.

It may not be how the examination centres see it, but it is what our highway code says ...

As bus lanes are intended to keep bus traffic flowing,allowing people to wait in them is also counter-productive to the intended use of the restricted bus lane.
Even the exception allowing a change of direction from within a bus lane, has been further restricted in order not to block the bus lane.

You are NOT supposed to drive a long ways on a parking lane before actually parking.
GRO
Administrator

Bericht door GRO »

It may not be how the examination centres see it, but it is what our highway code says ...
The highway code says: it is forbidden to drive and to park. It is strange that there is not written: to wait and to park.

In the 'vademecum for driving school teachers' is written that waiting is allowed.
All textbooks state that waiting is allowed.
If this is requested during the exam, waiting is allowed.
Jozef
Medewerker

Bericht door Jozef »

Inazuma schreef: 28 mei 2018, 21:03 The Belgian highway code states that you're only allowed to follow a bus lane to change direction (in the immediate vicinity of a crossroad) or when driving around an obstacle.
When you put your car on a bus lane in order to wait, by definition, you don't follow that lane, you wait on it.

Anyhow, I didn't find what you wrote in the traffic regualtions. In article 72.5, we can read:
De andere voertuigen mogen hierop niet rijden behalve om omheen een hindernis op de rijbaan te rijden en in de onmiddellijke nabijheid van een kruispunt om van richting te veranderen.
To maneuver a car to put it on the bus lane is not driving on the bus lane.
Jozef
Medewerker

Bericht door Jozef »

GRO schreef: 29 mei 2018, 12:39 In the 'vademecum for driving school teachers' is written that waiting is allowed.
All textbooks state that waiting is allowed.
Once again: these are no sources of law, and hence have no more value than what Inazuma says.
Induja

Bericht door Induja »

Hello,

I got this question in a mock test :

Standing still to let someone get out is allowed…

A. … only on a bus stop
B. … only on a bus stop and on a bus lane
C. … on a bus stop, on a bus lane and on a special reserved route for buses

Per this thread the answer should be B but the test says the answer is A. This is confusing, what is the right answer?
Inazuma

Bericht door Inazuma »

Induja schreef: 08 okt 2023, 09:59 Standing still to let someone get out is allowed…

A. … only on a bus stop
B. … only on a bus stop and on a bus lane
C. … on a bus stop, on a bus lane and on a special reserved route for buses

Per this thread the answer should be B but the test says the answer is A. This is confusing, what is the right answer?
That's what you get when looking up old threads ...

Legislation has been changed since

While before it was unclear if you could stand still / wait on a buslane to (dis)charge cargo or let someone in/out of a car (even though the examination centers "allowed" it in the theory exams) the legal status of the bus lane has been changed since:
It is now no longer even part of the roadway, putting it on par with the dedicated bus/tram bedding (bijzonder overrijdbare bedding) which was never a part of the roadway.

Parking, waiting, (dis)charging on a bus lane is NOT an authorised use for vehicles that are not allowed onto the buslane :!:

So the answer is now A
Provided the bus stop is not situated on a bus lane or dedicated bus/tram bedding ... :!:

I will maintain that this was always the case, and that the examination centers' decision to "allow" it (ie answer B) before the change, was wrong all the time ...
Plaats reactie