Question 8027, Q8032, Q8037: Parking lights vs side-lights

Vragen over de leerstof i.v.m. het Rijbewijs B.
Blues

Question 8027, Q8032, Q8037: Parking lights vs side-lights

Bericht door Blues »

Hi!
In all of these above questions parking light is used as equivalent to the side-lights. However in chapter 11, a clear distinction is made between slide-lights and parking lights. In fact, it is mentioned that parking lights may be used (in in urban areas) instead of not just the side-lights but both side-lights and rear red lights.
So a clarification on this issue is appreciate it.
Blues

Re: Question 8027, Q8032, Q8037: Parking lights vs side-lights

Bericht door Blues »

Hi,
I would greatly appreciate it if I can get a reply on the issue regarding parking and side lights.
Thank you.
GRO
Administrator

Bericht door GRO »

Within a built up area the side lights and the red rear lights can be replaced by a parking light when the car is parked lengthways on the road and is not hitched to a trailer. Only the parking light on the side of the road may be used.
Gast

Bericht door Gast »

Thank you for the reply.
So based on your reply, there is an error in all the mentioned question. Therefore the word "parking" should be replaced with "side" light. Correct?
Gast

Bericht door Gast »

Hello! I have the same question as the person who opened this chat. However, I beleive that it has not yet been properly answered.

I was confused becuase on chapter 11 it is not clear if the parking lights are exactly the same as the sidelights. I googled it and it says that they are the same, however the book once again says, and as the user GRO literally copied, that the combination of sidelights and red rear lights, can be replaced by the parking lights..... so again this means that they are not the same.

Can anyone please be kind to clarify this? Google can say one thing, but what matters is what is validated by the Belgian regulations...

Thank you!!!
Inazuma

Bericht door Inazuma »

Sidelights (standlicht) are NOT the same as parking lights.
Though they may double as parking lights ...

This discussion refers to ancient, archaic legislation that was never updated and is not enforced at all .
You'll see very, very few -if any at all- parked cars using parking lights.

A parking light serves to indicate the presence of a parked vehicle
These were originally situated near the middle of the vehicle's side(s)
i've had a hard time even finding one ... on a really old oldtimer (Renault Dauphine 1947-61 !)

Afbeelding

Modern cars no longer have actual parking lights
Another light on the car may be used (serve double duty) as a parking light - like the sidelights (standlicht)
If they have a parking light at all ...
Some brands can have a parking light enabled by leaving the indicator lever pointing to the side where you want the parking light to be on (you may need to do that after shutting down), then they switch on only that side's sidelight / standlicht

I've never even owned a car with a parking light function ...
Though it could be programmed in on at least one (i.e. it was not even enabled as standard)

It's an obvious drain on the battery
Especially if you have to leave on "standlicht" (sidelights) - let alone the foglights- your car most probably won't start the next morning
Parking lights may only be used in built up areas, outside these, you have to use "standlicht" / sidelights anyways

You can also see the silliness of the old legislation.
It applies everywhere on the public road, not just on the roadway .
You have to use a parking or side light when the car is not visible from about 100 when illuminated by public lighting ... so, even on an unlit parking or beside (not on) the roadway in a designated parking area :!:
With modern paid parking buildings (yes, they are seen as public road !) shutting down the lights when no-one is present, your car would need to have its (parking) lights on while parked there...

A lot gets added to traffic legislation, but few outdated things are ever taken out again ...
Plaats reactie