Question about practice question #8166. Turning Left

Vragen over de leerstof i.v.m. het Rijbewijs B.
Jacqueline

Question about practice question #8166. Turning Left

Bericht door Jacqueline »

Help!
I see an answer to #8166 in the English book that I think seems wrong (I have been driving for 26 years in Canada)
When 2 opposite drivers are both turning left at an uncontrolled intersection, surely they will turn in FRONT of each other, and therefore pass one another on the RIGHT?

See below for the question. The answer implies that one driver will drive BEHIND another, and therefore pass on the left?
That does not make any sense to me.

Also you have a typo in each answer.

Thanks for your attention
What do these cars have to do at this junction?

A. They pas each other on the right.
B. They pas each other on the left.
Your current score is 1/20
WRONG
Correct = B
Afbeelding
Jacqueline

Re: Question about practice question #8166. Turning Left

Bericht door Jacqueline »

I am very confident I am right & the practice question is incorrect, as I have found the answer on p 130 in the study book "pass to the RIGHT"
Benny Stinkens
Administrator

Bericht door Benny Stinkens »

The answer to this question is correct :!:
On crossroads where there are NO arrows you have to cross on the right side, but on this crossroad there are arrows so you have to respect this.
The right answer is that you have to cross left.

welcome to Belgium. it is not the same as Canada :wink:
Bezit paardenkrachten onder je motorkap, stop een tijger in je tank, maar wees geen ezel achter het stuur.
Inazuma

Bericht door Inazuma »

Jacqueline schreef: When 2 opposite drivers are both turning left at an uncontrolled intersection, surely they will turn in FRONT of each other, and therefore pass one another on the RIGHT?
Ah ... you've just found one of numerous conflicts in the Belgian highway code. :oops:

In Belgium, you must turn BEHIND the opposing driver as a rule.
That is, you MUST keep to the right when crossing an opposing driver - i.e. crossing left-to-left.

Arrows on the lanes or on the crossing do NOT provide any legal exception to that rule ... even though just about anyone on the road will act as if they do.

The only exception is when the lanes actually bend off to the left before you "meet" the opposing driver - as you're also obliged to respect & follow the lanes when driving
These diagonal lane markings are often worn away, or were never applied at all ...

When in Rome , do as the Romans do ...
You'll get into trouble if you don't, and try to do it "right"instead .

Then again, you WILL come across intersections where people turn behind one another, despite many arrows on the lanes going left.
What option is used, often depends more on what will work on the actual intersection, than on the highway code ...

But ...
If you cross the border into Holland / the Netherlands, it becomes mandatory to turn left in front of another driver turning left ... :roll:
Gast

Bericht door Gast »

Inazuma schreef:
In Belgium, you must turn BEHIND the opposing driver as a rule.
That is, you MUST keep to the right when crossing an opposing driver - i.e. crossing left-to-left.
Thanks a lot for your answer. On P 130 of my book it says "If there are no arrows marked on the surface, then you have to pass TO THE RIGHT"

This is confusing. So indeed, you pass one another ON the left. Wow. Trick questions. Good thing I registered for a translator. Trick questions would be heeeeel moeilijk in het Nederlands! :shock:
siv313

Bericht door siv313 »

I guess the confusion here is in the wording "to pass each other". From the perspective of the picture -> drivers cross to the left, but from perspective of a driver -> another driver is passing on the right.
Plaats reactie